Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2000 11:09:29 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding more /usr space via ccd

On Wednesday, 23 February 2000 at 15:32:09 -0600, Conrad Sabatier wrote:
> I'm interested in adding some unused space on a couple of drives to my
> /usr partition using ccd.  Just wondering how safe it is to do this with
> an already existing /usr.  Will the new space simply be added on to the
> existing /usr with no problems, or is it not as simple as all that?

It's not as simple as all that.

ccd is not capable of extending its size without reconfiguration,
which involves stopping and restarting ccd.  Vinum can do this "on the
fly", but there are other obstacles: increasing the size of the disk
or the volume doesn't help, you need to increase the size of the file
system as well.  And that part is still missing.

Greg