Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 2002 22:12:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Josh Tolbert <hemi@scoundrelz.net>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   PC164 SRM firmware problem

Hello,
	I obtained a PC164 motherboard, a 500MHz 21164 Alpha, 128M RAM and
various other bits (including a dead CPU fan; I just re-pinned an Intel
heatsink fan to work on the DEC motherboard) to use as a FreeBSD machine.
Unfortunately, I'm not able to get FreeBSD installed because I'm having
problems with the SRM firmware update. I know this is semi-off-topic for
this list, but I've looked around and can't find a description of a
similar problem anywhere.  Hopefully someone on the list can point me in
the right direction.
	When I received the board, it had ARC firmware in the ROM. Since
that won't do for FreeBSD, I downloaded the SRM firmware and followed the
documented procedure to flash the SRM firmware (put fwupdate.exe and
pc164srm.rom on a floppy, update firmware from the ARC console and just
follow the prompts). After rebooting, I get the standard blue screen with
a black border, a blinking white cursor and nothing else. I don't see the
customary SRM ">>>" prompt or a prompt of any sort. I've tried pressing
enter (and other keys) as suggested, to no avail.
	The flash is "successful," according to fwupdate.exe. The nine
blocks are counted and verified.
	I then re-downloaded and flashed the ROM using the fail-safe
boot method (jumper C7) with the same result. I verified that the ROM
writeable jumper was set to allow ROM writing. I've checked and re-checked
everything I can think of (new floppy, new downloads, new jumper
settings). I'm not sure if the SRM firmware defaults to com1, so I'm
trying to get a serial console to work with the fail-safe booter just to
test that I've got a working serial setup. Once the serial connection is
verified, I'm going to try rebooting normally (no fail-safe boot) and see
what happens.
	Is there anything else I can do? I've been fighting with this
thing for a while. I've searched the web, posted at general-purpose
hardware forums, searched some more, asked some of the Unix guys at work
(none of which know anything about Alphas) and searched again. I'm not
exactly new to dealing with hardware, but this thing has me at my wit's
end.
	Once again, sorry for posting somewhat off-topic to the list. If
anyone can help me or point me in the right direction I would greatly
appreciate it.

Thanks,
Josh