Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:41:41 -0800
From:      Orion Hodson <hodson@icir.org>
To:        Lester Igo <igo@vtic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, todo-list: ;
Subject:   Re: VIA sound (no volume)

/-- Lester Igo wrote:

| I am having problems with getting any volume out of my integrated VIA
| sound card.  I just purchased a new system with motherboard:
|
| http://www.ecsusa.com/products/p4vmm2.html
|
| And installed FreeBSD 5.0 on it...
|
| If I play any music files on it, the volume is very low.  (I can pick the
| speakers up hold them to my ears, I hear the music but it is very faint).
| The speakers are Labtec Spin-55 (el-cheapo), with the amplifier volume
| cranked.  I haven't tried any other OSes on the system yet...  I have
| tried the speakers on my SunRay and they work fine there, so I don't
| believe that they are a problem...

Okay, yours is the second report of this problem I've seen.  I've just taken a look at the ALSA driver and can see they are doing several things different from us at this point in time.  I only have the specs for the 8233C (under NDA) and it has no comment on the variations in registers.  Everything the ALSA people are doing is within the spec, but they have some non-obvious stuff that makes me think they have more data sources.  I'll have a go re-working the driver in the next couple of weeks...

- Orion