Date:      Sat, 25 Jun 2011 17:07:13 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Vitaly Magerya <vmagerya@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: (Missing) power states of an Atom N455-based netbook

on 24/06/2011 22:13 Vitaly Magerya said the following:
> Hi, folks. I'm having a problem with ACPI on an Atom N455-based
> netbook (Samsung N143-DP05UA to be precise).
>
> Right after I start the laptop I only see one supported power state:
>
>     # sysctl dev.cpu.0.cx_supported
>     dev.cpu.0.cx_supported: C1/1
>
> But after 4+ minutes of uptime more power states kick in:
>
>     # sysctl dev.cpu.0.cx_supported
>     dev.cpu.0.cx_supported: C1/1 C2/20 C3/100
>
> I'd like to have all Cx right after the boot. Is this possible?
>
> (The temporary solution I employ is to update hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest
> every time devd gets ACPI CMBAT message; this appears to happen
> right after cx_supported is updated).

Hmm, strange...
Can you check if FreeBSD thinks that the system is on AC power until that CMBAT
message?  (I see in dmesg that during that boot it detected AC as disconnected).

> Also, when I boot the same machine under Linux (latest Ubuntu),
> powertop reports C1, C2 and C4 right away. Is it possible to get
> C4 under FreeBSD as well?

I believe that what FreeBSD reports as C3 is the same as what Linux reports as C4.

> Other ACPI problems, which I have are:
> 1. When the power cord is plugged in, C3 state disappears.

Does the same happen with Linux?
Many notebooks disable deep Cx states when on AC power for some reason.

> 2. When I plug (or unplug) the power cord I get these two messages:
>
>    ACPI Error: [\\_SB_.VDRV] Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND
>    (20101013/psargs-464) ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed
>
>    [\\_SB_.PCI0.LPC0.H_EC._Q51] (Node 0xc42ac1e0), AE_NOT_FOUND
>    (20101013/psparse-633)
>
>    (This appears to be harmless).

Not sure about these, looks like some additional/external table is not loaded.
You may check if the same happens with the latest ACPICA in FreeBSD CURRENT.

--
Andriy Gapon