Date:      Wed, 07 Apr 1999 12:20:28 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        justin@apple.com
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Esry Don-FDE005 <Don_Esry-FDE005@email.mot.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Separate boot partition?

"Justin C. Walker" wrote:

> > From: "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
> >
> > Esry Don-FDE005 wrote:
> > >
> > > I believe that IBM, HP, and Sun all buy their LVM from Veritous.
> Hopefully I
> > > am close enough in spelling that you can figure it out.
> >
> > I don't believe that's the case with IBM. I have been known to be
> > wrong before, though...
>      The company name, I think, is Veritas (as in Veritas Vos
> Liberabit).

Or as in "In vino veritas."  ;^)

> And you're correct that IBM didn't *buy* the
> implementation from Veritas.  It's quite similar in idea, though.

No, actually IBM *did* originally buy the volume manager bits from
Veritas.  They then took the additional step(s) of completely
integrating volume management and journalling into their filesystem
and making it the default.  This was about AIX 3.0 or 3.1 timeframe,
if memory serves correctly.

I propose we should do the same with Vinum, pending agreement from
Greg for technical porpoises and the owners of Vinum from a license
standpoint.  Adding disk space to a system is MUCH easier when you
can throw a new drive onto the system, slice it up, and throw a
slice into swap, another slice into /usr, and a third slice into
/var without moving files or other chicanery.

Greg, do you think this might be possible for 4.0 RELEASE?