Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 2014 23:25:00 -0800
From:      hiren panchasara <hiren.panchasara@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Jack F Vogel <jfv@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Errors using span interface on if_bridge(4)
References:  <CALCpEUH7YHhG3gw0wrObsJux=PWmJu2K6_tzCbCfXQ21ENYHdw@mail.gmail.com> <CALCpEUEuXR7_Q8_zt2TjnsOqt_rYMH5do=UEjssqkj684Xdimg@mail.gmail.com> <CALCpEUFLwZ6vismFKgyo1Q_P4iwzxS%2BjBozTV%2BO1kvap6U8brQ@mail.gmail.com> <CALCpEUE4V-CXkT3R0tzr1K075RBX_HKHPF%2BP-WTT15FkH5cuQA@mail.gmail.com> <CALCpEUH-5vWoU-Q-fWsmUGLrS3H--4WXcbejf1TQc=ZNmFOXvQ@mail.gmail.com> <CALCpEUEZmMvVRAf8DtRBpPtYgZDB3ufNaAhDpmrnVaiPXv3veg@mail.gmail.com>

Alright. I am having a "mind blown" moment right now.

While reporting this checksum error issue, I always had ix3 (the
culprit interface) being monitored via tcpdump in other tmux session.
Something gotten into me and I stopped monitoring it and everything
was kosher after that. Not a single checksum error!

Just to be sure, I kldunloaded/loaded if_ixgbe (as I've built that as
a module) to reset all the stat counters and ran my tests again using
both iperf3 and netperf - and saw same behavior. If I start tcpdump on
interface again, the dev.ix.3.mac_stats.checksum_errs starts going up.
Stopping tcpdump would stop the counter from incrementing.

Why is that happening? I have no clue. How/why is tcpdump affecting
this interface traffic stats in such a way?
Just as a recap, bridge0 has ix1 as a member and ix2 as a span
interface. ix2 and ix3 are connected back to back so that I can
monitor traffic coming to bridge0 on ix3 (as ix2 will forward it all
being a span interface).

cheers,
Hiren