Date:      Tue, 21 May 2002 23:42:48 -0400
From:      Craig Rodrigues <crodrigu@bbn.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about Dummynet and Diffserv

Hi,

I am trying to set up a network testbed where I can offer different
levels of service to different streams of traffic marked with
different Diffserv codepoints.

I have two FreeBSD routers (4.6 RC1) in my testbed, compiled with
Dummynet, ALTQ, and IPFIREWALL.

Dummynet works great for changing characteristics such as delay,
packet loss rate, and bandwidth.  I have used the ipfw command to set
up rules like: "Set the delay to 800ms for packets with source
address foo and destination address bar."

However, ipfw support setting up filter rules based on the IP TOS
field (Diffserv byte).

The ipfw command seems to only support the capability for creating
firewall rules based on the following IP options: ssrr (strict source
route), lsrr (loose source route), rr (record packet route) and ts
(timestamp).  It doesn't let you create a filter rule based on
the TOS field.

Now, on the other hand, with ALTQ, it is possible to set up
filter rules which can deal with IP TOS.  However, ALTQ seems
to be separate from ipfw/Dummynet, and doesn't have the nice
features of being able to specify delay and packet loss rates.

Does anybody know how I can resolve this?  I basically
want to use ipfw/Dummynet, but set the filter rule based
on the TOS field.

Thanks.
--
Craig Rodrigues        Distributed Systems and Logistics, Office 6/304
crodrigu@bbn.com       BBN Technologies, a Verizon company