Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:11:01 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Darryl Hoar <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT - Perl Question

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 02:57:04PM -0600, Darryl Hoar wrote:
> I am trying to learn perl.  I am going through a tutorial and have come
> across a syntax error I can't figure out.
>=20
> Here's the code:
>=20
> print "Please tell me your name: ";
> chop ($name=3D<STDIN>);
>=20
> print "Please tell me your nationality: ";
> chop ($nation=3D<STDIN>);
>=20
> if ( $nation eq "British"  or  $nation eq "New Zealand" )
> {
>  print "Hallo $name, pleased to meet you!\n";
>=20
> }
>=20
> when I try to run it, it generates a compile errors on the
> if line.
>=20
> I know its the conditional test, but don't know how to fix
> it to be syntactically correct in perl.
>=20
> Any help?

Works fine if you ask me:

    happy-idiot-talk:/tmp:% cat > foo.pl
    #!/usr/bin/perl -w
   =20
    print "Please tell me your name: ";
    chop ($name=3D<STDIN>);
   =20
    print "Please tell me your nationality: ";
    chop ($nation=3D<STDIN>);
   =20
    if ( $nation eq "British"  or  $nation eq "New Zealand" )
    {
     print "Hallo $name, pleased to meet you!\n";
   =20
    }
   =20
    happy-idiot-talk:/tmp:% perl -cw foo.pl=20
    foo.pl syntax OK
    happy-idiot-talk:/tmp:% chmod +x foo.pl=20
    happy-idiot-talk:/tmp:% ./foo.pl=20
    Please tell me your name: Matthew
    Please tell me your nationality: British
    Hallo Matthew, pleased to meet you!
   =20
There was probably a typo in your original script which you've managed
to inadvertently fix when you copied your code into the e-mail.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way