Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 16:46:42 -0500
From:      Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>
To:        "Brian McCloskey" <bmccloskey@leader-group.com>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 7895 On-Board SCSI Controller

At 13:56 -0500 98.03.27, Brian McCloskey wrote:
>Currently, all of my drives are on my Adaptec controller, so I was
>wondering if anybody had any information on applying the cam software,
>or some other devices/patches to my boot floppy so that I can get the
>system to see the drive so that I can install FreeBSD (version I have is

>From my monday post on the same subject:

>At 15:26 -0500 98.03.23, Bob Beaulieu wrote:
>>I notice in FAQ that FreeBSD works with:
>>AH-294x and aic7870 MB controllers (Narrow/Twin/Wide) <PCI>.
>>
>>I'm thinking about buying  the 333mhz pentium ii and
>>intel dk 440lx m/b, usb, wol, agp chipset, crystal audio,
>>dual scsi, raid connection.  Which I understand is using
>>Adaptec 7895 MB controller.  Will this work with FreeBSD?
>
>Yes.  At least mine does.
>
>You need to run -current, you need CAM, and (last I checked), you need to
>have a kernel based on the March 12 source base.
>
>To install, you will need the CAM based floppy kernel.  Look in /incomming.
>Once you have installed, and installed the cam-kernel via the fixit floppy,
>you will need to boot with -a at the boot prompt -- at least I did.
>
>Not sure that AGP is working, I chickened out and went with PCI for my
>first graphics card.
>
>So far, I don't have working audio or serial, and have not tried RAID.
>
>Good luck: you will need it.
>
>+C

NB, last nights source seems to work... so far.  Also, make sure your disk
is labeled (via disklabel) as SCSI... for some reason, mine insisted on
labeling itself as ESDI (well, *I* certainly didn't do it!)

+C

--
Thinking of purchasing RAM from the Chip Merchant?  Please read this first:
<http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/chipmerchant.html>;

Cory Kempf                  Macintosh / Unix Consulting & Software Development
ckempf@enigami.com          <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/>;