Date:      Thu, 9 Apr 2009 10:14:33 +0200
From:      n j <nino80@gmail.com>
To:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: new package system proposal

I'd like to use this opportunity to generally support this and any
other ideas taking direction of making binary installs and upgrades
easier and more manageable. I recognize the need for people to
configure custom options and compile from ports (that is why any new
system *must* be compatible with ports), however, it should be noted
that there's a lot of people running simple LAMP servers, almost
exclusively using default options, who would greatly benefit from
better binary package support.

I've already ranted about this
(http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2008-December/188119.html)
in a slightly different context (I talked about -SECURITY equivalent
instead of -DESKTOP that the OP suggests) with almost the same idea -
make it easy for people who are interested in running stable, secure
servers do binary upgrades without the hassle of going through a major
system recompile because of, for example, openldap shared library
version bump.

Regards,
--
Nino