Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 13:57:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: optimization changed from TIME to SPACE

On 10 Nov 1999, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> John Ryan <jryan@kgv.edu.hk> writes:
>
> > I've had a look at other questions about this on the mailing list and they
> > all say that you are running out of space.  I set up a cron job to do a df
> > -i every minute, which does not show this to be my problem.
> >
> > The following output from my /var/log/messages and df -i show what's
> > happenning.  The strange thing is that November 7 was a Sunday, and this a
> > proxy server at a secondary school.  (no one using the system) The df -i
> > output is from the same time as the third instance in the messages.
> >
> > The only thing I've changed in the kernel is maxusers = 48 because I was
> > running out of file descriptors, and it's only started happenning since
> > then.
>
> Squid is a very greedy program when it comes to file descriptors.
> However, changing maxusers to 48 should be enough for running squid and
> using the same machine as a workstation in X11.  I am doing this at
> home, and with maxusers = 32 it worked fine.
>
> Oh and one more thing, is it possible that you have configured Squid to
> use at most X space, and when it finds it's reaching that limit it
> changes optimization strategy to save some space?

newp, you got it wrong, the SPACE/TIME consol messages are printed
out when FFS detects that files are being overly fragmented, it
swithes to a less space efficient method of allocation until the
situation fixes itself then prints out a message that it has
reverted to the old way.

with ffs_doreallocblocks active the situation will fix itself faster
as FFS will defrag itself as it's used.

you ought to pick up "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD
Operating System" to really understand the what's going on.

-Alfred