Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 09:14:06 -0500
From:      "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@seaman.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: natd passes inconsistent addresses to ipfw?

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

Whoops.  Meant to cc this to the list too.

--
Richard Seaman, Jr.        email:    dick@seaman.org
5182 N. Maple Lane         phone:    262-367-5450

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 09:09:33 -0500
From: "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@seaman.org>
To: mikescott@clara.net

On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 12:19:01PM +0100, mikescott@clara.net wrote:

> I'm worried about the logic of the problem -- it seems to me that
> there's no way that nat and the dynamic rules can work together
> correctly, given that both incoming and outgoing packets start at
> the top and work down the same list of rules. Tthe keep-state and
> check-state surely have to be on the same side of the nat,
> because they have to work together *either* on local *or* external
> addresses, not a mixture.  But if they're after the nat (as for all
> written examples I've seen), then for incoming packets they operate
> on local addresses, and for outgoing on external addresses, which
> is not what's wanted.  If they're before the nat, we never reach the
> nat.
>
> Am I totally at sea here with my understanding of what's going on?
> Does anyone on the list have a working example which they could
> offer, please, and set my mind at rest?

I haven't looked at your specific ruleset, but I too concluded it
wasn't possible to get dynamic rules (keep-state) working properly
with nat.  But, I also managed to convince myself that the nat
engine itself is, in effect, a dynamic ruleset, so I decided I didn't
care about dynamic rules with nat.

This was a while ago, and I don't remember my analysis all that well.
If you come to a different conclusion after looking at how the nat
engine works, let me know and I'll try to reconstruct my logic.