Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 10:53:37 -0500
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        Luc.Segers@vnet.atea.be
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: real newbie doubting between linux/freebsd

From: Luc Segers <Luc.Segers@vnet.atea.be>
Subject: real newbie doubting between linux/freebsd
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 10:10:32 +0100

> Hello,
>
>         I have some questions: I would like to be a new computer with
> all the newest hardware: Soundblaster Savage 4 videocard, Soundblaster
> live soundcard, Pentium III (I will wait for the new very fast
> motherboards). My question is: will freebsd work with those new things,
> which one is faster to support new hardware, Linux or FreeBSD and whats
> the time difference. Will you ever support these hardware.

(I always buy hardware specifically for my software)

I'm not familiar with the devices these boards are based on.   Is the
Savage 4 an AGP video board?  Nonetheless, Linux and FreeBSD share a
common X11 code base so this question applies to both systems.

Don't know about that sound card either.

> At first sight FreeBSD seems to be beter structured, and I really like
> some structure. I dont really like the chaos of Linux.

At first sight FreeBSD seems better structured and after four years of
using it I continue to be amazed and find new examples of the team's
release engineering expertise.

Wait until you learn about CVSup...

> Another thing I think is important, is support, and I am testing that
> right now ;-).

FreeBSD users generally try to be helpful.  To get the most bang for
your unspent buck try to get as many specific details as possible
to help the volunteers with your questions.  Remember to research
mail and news archives first to see if your question has already been
asked.

Read Greg Lehey's "How to get the most out of -questions" and buy
his book too.  He'll appreciate that.  :-)

> You can Buy 4CD-Roms with freeBSD 3.1, but what's on those 4CD-roms ? Is
> there KDE 1.1 ? Everything ?

You can look at ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/ to discern what's on those CD's.

Since there is a lag between production of CD's and software made available
to users, there are extensive mechanisms to help you get the most recent
and/or stable versions of new software.

> Thank you very much,

Welcome to the party!

Jerry Hicks