Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 2009 22:15:19 -0400
From:      kalin m <kalin@el.net>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd forgets root password

thanks adam.

Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 7:56 PM, kalin m <kalin@el.net
> <mailto:kalin@el.net>> wrote:
>

>     hi all ....
>
>     this is really weird.
>     i've must have set up the root password on this new machine i got
>     at least 5 times and after a few reboots this thing forgets it.
>     i have to go in single user and reset it again and again?!?
>
>     what can be the reason?
>

> Couple guesses:
>
> You keep forgetting the password
> caps lock
not really...  i checked.  many times. even for num loc. which doesn't
matter...

>     it'a brand new install of freebsd 7.2  amd64 (amnesiac)  ...  fits
>     the name...
>

> amnesiac is the name freebsd uses when no hostname is set.
in this Amnesiac is the release name i think...

>     while i'm on here... the machine comes with an ethernet card on
>     board that according to pciconf there is no driver for it. pciconf
>     identifies the card as Marvell Semiconductor (was: Galileo
>     something...) which according to the handbook needs the msk
>     driver. which is in the generic kernel anyway. the thing is
>     pciconf says none2@pci0:2:0:0 for that card. dmesg doesn't mention
>     anything about msk. and sysinstall doesn't see anything either. so
>     far so awesome...
>

> man msk
many times....  msk should at least show in the dmesg somewhere....

>     now... the wireless card i put in. ralink technology. in the
>     office here there is a simple wifi router that is "protected" with
>     WPA password. if i get rid of the password and just use ifconfig
>     to get to the router everything works ok but putting the wpa on
>     again and using the supplicant things suck. ifconfig says the card
>     is associated. and it gets an ip but that's pretty much all that
>     happens. pings to a neighboring machine produce huge dropouts.
>     with  85% packet loss. another awesomeness...  and those are pings
>     to ips. dns is pretty much nowhere to be found. sysisntall has
>     <unknown network interface type> for ral0...
>

> This has always worked well for me:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/network-wireless.html
that's where i got the wpa configuration from. also from man
wpa_supplicant and wpa_supplicant.conf.

my conf looks like:
network={
             ssid="home"
             scan_ssid=1
             key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
             psk="very secret passphrase"
     }

wpa_supplicant with -ddd show more and more of the same with nothing
that helps me identify anything as a problem. just loops through the
same sequence of information which doesn't mean much to me.