Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 1996 21:38:33 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@blueberry.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /dev/console

Nik Clayton wrote in message ID
<199604250955.KAA05230@plum.blueberry.co.uk>:
> > Try this:
> >
> > gary@palmer:~> cat /etc/fbtab
> > /dev/ttyv0 0600 /dev/console

> Great. Even better then turning on the console in /etc/ttys. Can you (or
> someone else) explain why this isn't turned on by default? If there aren't
> any reasons not to do it I'll do a low priority send-pr about it.

Security I would guess ... You may not want anyone who can log onto
ttyv0 to grab all console output like that. There are probably
implications for unusual setups, like the FreeBSD box running as an
XDM server for x terms and so on.

Gary
--
Gary Palmer                                            FreeBSD Core Team Member
FreeBSD - Turning PC's into workstations. See http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/ for info.