Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 16:44:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Some info on the kgmon(8) manual page (regarding current) needed

--- Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> I've committed a tweak to the man page, but think that the page may
> actually be wrong in a more general sense: kgmon appears to use
> getbootfile() so will actually use whatever path the sytem booted with.
> While by default that will be /boot/kernel/kernel, it may be something
> else, in which case kgmon tries to DTRT.

Unless changed with the -N flag it provides.

: --- Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org> wrote:
: There might be utilities left that use /kernel, instead of the currently
: used /boot/kernel/kernel, to find the kernel.  This means that before the
: manpage is changed, the appropriate source files need to be checked, to
: make sure that the manpage reflects what really happens in the programs
: themselves.  We don't want to blindly substitute /boot/kernel/kernel for
: all the instances of /kernel, and make the manpages inconsistent with the
: source, right?

According to me, the utility shouldn't be using a hardcoded path to the
booting kernel, as this would affect kernels which were made by:

  makeoptions   KERNEL=foo    #Build kernel "foo" and install "/foo"

What are your suggestions?

In any case, I will take the precautions which Giorgos has put in place,
and will produce the patches accordingly. :)

Thanks,

  -- Hiten Pandya