Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 1996 04:00:07 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        alex@freebsd.org, bde@zeta.org.au, pjf@cts.com, rb@gid.co.uk
Cc:        bde@freebsd.org, dyson@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bugs [ftruncate]

>Don't forget that this has to work right for NFS too: I've had problems in
>the past with non-FreeBSD clients off a FreeBSD server being unable to
>extend files.

ftruncate() seems to work right for FreeBSD NFS, and there is code to
support it in our support disk file systems (ufs, msdosfs, ext2fs).

I noticed that it also "succeeds" for /dev/tty.  It "succeeds" and has no
effect for all special files.  OTOH, lseek() returns ESPIPE unless the
file type is DTYPE_VNODE.

Bruce