Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 16:47:04 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SUID-Directories patch

> ok, then we need another place for 'bleeding edge' then.

Your personal tree.  That's where truly bleeding edge stuff should
go, period (substitute "you" for whomever "you" are - I'm talking
generally here).

> SMP is anexample of development going on in -current, that
> defies both your categories below. If we make -curent into

No, actually SMP is a good example as it was done in its own
completely different repository for a long time until it was "done"
enough to work generally.  And it does.  I and many other people are
running it now and if DEVFS worked half as well as SMP we wouldn't be
counting it as an unfinished opus.

> -stable, then where does the development go? Development needs
> to go somewhere where people can test it out and take it for a
> test-drive.

I think we have fundamentally different definitions of "test drive."

When I think of something worthy of test driving in -current, I think
of a situation like "this is done, guys, and I've been testing it for
awhile with a small team of private BETA testers.  Now I just need a
little wider testing to make sure it works as well for everyone else
as it does for me and my gang."  I don't think "this is something I
would like everyone to help me with so that we can finish it and
make it work" qualifies.

> The reason devfs is in the tree is because it needs people to USE it
> to find out what's wrong with it. It was totally broken by a later

Julian, I'm sorry, but the DEVFS code has never worked well enough for
general use and every time someone has run a /dev mounted with it
they've either missed a number of important devices or experienced a
system crash in short order.  This is code which was integrated
prematurely, not code in need of "testing" by the definition I stated
earlier.

> I'm working offline to replace all that stuff. (The BDE slice code)

Good.

> > So, what would probably help greatly at this point in proving to the
> > skeptics that Julian Elischer, Esq is capable of working within these
> > new operating parameters would be an acknowlegement on your part that
> > you understand the A/B principles given above and a further
> > committment to either removing all traces of DEVFS from the system or
> > implementing it entirely to spec sometime within the next 60 days.
>
> Dont be silly.

I'm not being silly.  If you don't do precisely as requested above,
someone else will be removing DEVFS from the tree in short order.
This is not a threat, this is a statement of fact and something we've
been discussing in core for awhile now.

> It actually works and is in production use in many places.
> I don't understand why people consider it to be a non-functional item.
> It works on everthing except in some cases of multiple disks.

I'm not even going to touch that statement since I think it stands
as a perfect example of what I'm talking about, all by itself.

						Jordan