Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 23:03:58 +0200
From:      "Leif Neland" <leifn@neland.dk>
To:        "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>, "Graham Dunn" <gdunn@inscriber.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Strange situation with NAT and sendmail [ FIXED ]

> I did a tcpdump on the NAT box on network A - it never records any
incoming
> packets destined for port 25 whatsoever. However, it does record
incoming
> packets for port 81 (the administration web server for the mail
server.)

> Therein lies the answer.  It would appear that the ISP providing me
> residential broadband has now started filtering outbound access to
port 25 -
> you can only send via their mail server.  This is why I can't
connect to the
> mail server on the remote network, but everything else works fine.

Do you mean access to your port 25 from the outside is blocked?

In that case, just put your ISP's mailservers as secondary MX, then
you will get your mail from that server.

It is done to avoid dumb people creating open relays, because they
can't configure their mailservers properly.

If you mean access from your network to port 25 outside, that is done
to have control of YOU not spamming.
Just your ISP's mailserver as smarthost.

In general, it is done in the best interest of the rest of the
internet.
If you can not live with that, perhaps you can get full access for a
fee... Or perhaps not, if your connection is classified as
residential, then you shouldn't have need for that, they believe...

Leif