Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 20:22:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
To:        Jan Knepper <jan@smartsoft.cc>
Cc:        FreeBSD-ISP@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Burstable T1

Yes, burstable is one of those terms defined by the people who use it so,
of course, it depends on your provider.  We use burstable T-1 to refer to
both our wireless and wireline accounts.  We monitor usage and apply a
filter to obtain a 5 minute average.  We discard an occasional peak and
ignore others during off-peak hours to determine the billing rate to
apply.  We counsel users to help them avoid high billings and, if
requested by the customer we will place a bandwidth limit on his circuit
to avoid overruns.

This does mean that they share capacity with other users and the cost of
Internet access and VPN service reflects that sharing.  Many of our
customers would not find the Internet affordable without this type of
service.

The statistical multiplexing of TDM streams occurs throughout the
Internet and is one of the reasons for the low cost to reach all the way
around the world.  Want to pay for a full wired T-1 from here to India?

It is interesting that quite good service can result, even at the 128KB
level.  Companies doing occasional file transfers and responsible
business browsing with 20 to 30 computers don't seem to have much of a
problem staying within their desired bandwidth limits.

When we review the graphs of the users and at several layers back we get
a good idea of how the multiplexing works and what "natural" bandwidth
limiting occurs due to tcp/ip operation.

The response from your proposed ISP is worrisome.  If they calculate the
way you suggest, it is not a good business model for them and therefore,
I think it may be an answer given out too quickly by a sales agent.  If
that's what it says in the contract, and the cost is reasonable - go for
it.

Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
#4 ISP on C|NET, #1 in Ohio