Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:55:09 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alain Wolf <wolf@k18.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Suhosin Segmentation Fault]

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 07:25:08PM +0200, Alain Wolf wrote:
> Not much return on freebsd-isp.
> I try again here on freebsd-questions.
>
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Betreff: Suhosin Segmentation Fault
> Datum: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 09:49:09 +0200
> Von: Alain Wolf <wolf@k18.ch>
> An: freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
> Newsgruppen: gmane.os.freebsd.isp
>
> After upgrading FreeBSD from 6.3-p3 to 6.3-p5 on our server, all
> websites just display a blank page and every HTTP request created a line
> as follows in the logs:
>
> child pid 80326 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
>
> This same problem happened on another server a few months ago after the
> upgrade from 6.3-p3 to 6.3-p4, but after a rebuild of all FreeBSD ports
> all went back to normal. However several rebuilds of all ports did not
> solve the problem on this one.
>
> To narrow down the problem: After disabling the PHP module in Apache the
> problem disappears.
>
> Re-enabling PHP, but disabling the Suhosin extension also works fine.
>
> The trick found in this  forum, to load the Suhosin extension before all
> other PHP extensions in /usr/local/etc/php/extensions.ini does not help.
> In fact not loading any extension at all except Suhosin creates the
> segfault errors.

Suhosin is not an extension you load in extensions.ini; it's a patch
applied to the core of PHP.

The extension ordering problem, however, has been thoroughly discussed
on -ports in the past.  It happens to some and not others.  There is no
guaranteed way to determine what works and what doesn't.  You have to
literally enable line-by-line until you figure out which one is causing
the problem.

You can also try building lang/php5 with DEBUG enabled and then when PHP
segfaults, run gdb on the coredump and see if you can get a coherent
backtrace (sometimes difficult with Apache in the way) to see what sort
of functions are causing the crash; often each extension has its own
function names, so that might give you some clues.

> PHP (cli) seems to run fine at all times when called from the command-line.

Now that's very interesting, given as the CLI version also loads all the
extensions listed in extensions.ini.

Can you post your /usr/local/etc/php/extensions.ini?  You didn't list
off what extensions you have installed.