Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 22:44:21 +0200
From:      Saad KADHI <obsidian@cybercable.fr>
To:        Kartic Krishnamurthy <kaygee@netset.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Secu <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH 2.1.1 Port broken?

Hi Kartic,

> Yes, I tried --with-ssl-dir (Openssh-1.2.2 found my distribution without this problem but not so with Openssh 2.1.1).   And I _did_
> read the install notes at openssh.com, which is very much contrary to your assumption that I did not!

You are completely right. I've tried it myself today and I didn't succeed (shame on me :-) sorry for the RTFM but NOM). I really tried
virtually everything: installing the original Openssl stuff, installing the ports, giving to $ssldir all possible paths in the
original openssh code ...

> Anyway, any ideas why the FreeBSD port is not "make"ing?  It seems to be a common problem with the port as per the archives, there
> are no conclusive solutions.

What I think happens is that :
1-in the openssh port, the patches don't patch a single thing. Try again (after removing the work/.*_done files) and you'll notice
that after the extract message, it tries to apply the patches and then spat at you that it cannot find sth to patch anywhere
2-due to 1, it is like if you are trying to build the original openssh source code since it didn't get patched. I get the same
messages from the original openssh source code (after some hack to make it believe that openssl has been found on the sys).

Someone suggested on previous postings to get the ports/Mk files (current) but it didn't make it better. I also updated ALL the ports
dir to current (including Openssl, OpenSSH ..) but I got the same darned weirdo messages.

So :
1-rather the port will be fixed by the maintainer or one of the tribe
2-or we'll stick with 1.2.2 for a moment.

Regards.

--
Saad KADHI -- Security Consultant