Date:      Sat, 18 May 1996 00:48:08 +1000 (EST)
From:      Carey Nairn <cp_nairn@cc.utas.edu.au>
To:        "Paul T. Root" <ptroot@uswest.com>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>, tpalmer@riverdale.edu, Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940 & 1542

On Fri, 17 May 1996, Paul T. Root wrote:

> In a previous message, Doug White said:
> >
> > >         Why 2 SCSI cards indeed - the only reason is the 2940 has only the
> > > 68(?) pin wide SCSI external connector, and I figured a free 1542 would be
> > > cheaper than a cable to make the connector transition to DB25 or
> > > centronics-type devices. This machine is running other operating systems,
> > > and I like my Zip drive. This connector thing is rather silly, really.
> >
> > Huh.  I don't claim to be a SCSI expert either, especially on new hardware.
>
> Are you sure the 2940 has a 68 pin and not a SCSI-2 50 pin? If it's a 50
> pin, then a Iomega Zip should work with a simple cable, that wouldn't
> be too expensive. If it's 2940W then that's a SCSI-3 device, which I think
> UltraWide is another name for. SCSI-3 is supposed to be backward compatible
> with SCSI-2. The cable could be expensive.
>

> > >         I have to say that I remain confused about the various SCSI
> > > variants - my hard drive is a Seagate 32550, which Seagate calls fast/wide.
> > > Where does UltraWide fit in?
> >
> > I would have no clue.
> >

> > Doug White                              | University of Oregon
> > Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | Residence Networking Assistant
> > http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Computer Science Major
> >

> --
> Paul T. Root - USWEST !NTERPRISE Networking Service	ptroot@uswest.com
>
> A skydiver is taken by the gravity of his situation.

I have a 2940UW which has a 68 pin external connector and BOTH a 50-pin
and a 68pin internal connector.  Of course you can only use two of these
connectors at any one time...

The 2940W is the same as above but with only the 50pin connector internally.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get convertors to connect 50pin
drives to 68pin cables internally ?  I would like to be able to use the
external connector even if I mix drive types internally..

cheers,
Carey

Carey Nairn                     ! email : Carey.Nairn@its.utas.edu.au
Networks and Communications     ! phone : (002) 20 7419
Information Technology Services ! fax   : (002) 20 7898
University of Tasmania.         !