Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 17:18:42 -0700
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com>
To:        'Greg Lehey' <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Vinum Help

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Greg Lehey [mailto:grog@lemis.com]
> Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 4:27 PM
> To: Drew Tomlinson
> Cc: FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)
> Subject: Re: Vinum Help
>

> [Format recovered--see http://www.lemis.com/email/email-format.html]
>
> Your MUA wraps output lines.

Sorry.  I'm doing the best I can with the MS Outlook I'm stuck with at work.

[snip]

> > My first quest is an attempt to take the free space left on
> da1 and da2 and
> > create a stripe set.  Here is my feeble attempt at a
> configuration file:
> >
> > drive disk1 /dev/da1h
> > drive disk2 /dev/da2h
>
> This should read
>
>   drive disk2 device /dev/da2h

Thank you.  That was it!

> > volume user
> >   plex org striped 510k
> >     sd length 3899m drive disk1
> >     sd length 3899m drive disk2

[snip]

> > In my vinum.conf file, I am using the "h" partition only because
> > that is what is shown in the man page examples.  What I don't
> > understand is do I have to somehow use disklabel to create a vinum
> > file partition?
>
> Yes.  To quote the man page:
>
>      vinum drives are currently BSD disk partitions.  They must be of
>      type vinum in order to avoid overwriting data used for other
>      purposes.  Use disklabel -e to edit a partition type definition.

Thank you.  I've been successful in this step and finally created a vinum
stripset.  I then went on to figure out how to use newfs to create a file
system and finally mount to mount it (it was needing to create a directory
for a mount point that took me a while).  As you can probably tell, I'm
still very green when it comes to Unix and FBSD but I working at it.  Thanks
for the help!

Drew

[snip]