Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 1996 10:56:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        John Hart <dashadow@tchnet.tchnet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: UUCP Question

On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, John Hart wrote:

> Basically there is an outside business that will call in three times a
> day and retrieve their mail.  We will do no calling out at all.

That's normally how it works.

> I have
> no idea where I am suppost to go from here.  I didn't even get a straight
> answer on what to do within sendmail.cf...
>
> I know, I know, buy the book.  Currently I cannot buy the book, and I
> would like a little help if anyone could...

Unless you understand UUCP networking you are not going to be able to
supply this as a commercial service. I suggest that you take your home
computer and configure it as a UUCP node and practice by setting up your
server to support it. Set up the home machine with the UUCP node name
uujohn and your server with the UUCP node name tchnet and set up your
server to accept email for any username @uujohn.tchnet.com and forward it
to your home with UUCP. You can then play around and test it by doing
things like the following from home:

mail tchnet!uujouhn!YourUserNameAtHome

This address will route the mail to UUCP node tchnet which will then route
it to UUCP node uujohn (namely back to your home machine) and thence to
whatever username you are using. On your home machine you can set up
multiple user names. If it is a FreeBSD box that simply means multiple
userids.

Note that most UNIX shells treat ! specially so you may need to use

mail tchnet\!uujohn\!username

If your home machine is a DOS/Windows box then look for UUPC (note the
spelling carefully) and use that for the uujohn node. Also, UUPC has
documentation that may be easier to understand than the info files that
come with Taylor UUCP. You *DO* have the info files don't you?

Try searching for UUCP and/or UUPC on http://www.altavista.digital.com

Remember what RTFM means? Now there is STFW, Search TF Web, for people
who ask questions without spending a few minutes at AltaVista, Lycos,
Webcrawler, Yahoo, etc, etc, etc.

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael@memra.com