Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 00:54:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      Font <font@Mcs.Net>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        Kamal is not MaD <southakj@email.uc.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: release 2.2.5 HELP ! bin.ci corruption ?

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, David Greenman wrote:
> >I've occasionally had trouble downloading files from ftp.freebsd.org with
> >certain ftp clients.  While the download session completes without errors,
> >files end up with different checksums than the originals.  I'm not sure
> >whether the problem is the client or the server.  Clients which have given
> >me occasional corrupted files include Netscape Navigator 4.03/Mac, Fetch
> >3.0/Mac.  Generally, after I download something, I check the checksum, and
> >if the checksum doesn't match, then I'll download using a different ftp
> >client (from my ISP's shell account, for instance, which has never failed
> >me) until the checksum matches.
> >
> >I suggest you check your checksums, and retrieve the corrupted files
> >again using a different method.  Good luck.
>
>    This is VERY unusual. When was the last time you experianced this problem?
> Were the failures always when using the Mac?

I last experienced this problem last month when downloading the
970911-RELENG from... from releng22.freebsd.org, come to think of it.
That's a different ftp server, too.  I also had the problem with a
970618-RELENG.  Both of those incidents I remember specifically, the
checksum problem was always with a file in the bin dist.  I can't remember
specific incidents before that, however.  For the 970911-RELENG download,
the client was Fetch 3.03 on a Mac.  Due to the way our external access is
configured here, Macs are the only Internet clients available (for now).
Well, it's better than Windows.  :-)

I myself had no problems with 2.2.5 on ftp.freebsd.org, also downloaded
with Fetch 3.03 on a Mac.