Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2013 13:46:30 -0500
From:      Thomas Dickey <dickey@radix.net>
To:        David Lazaro Saz <dlazaro@mac.com>
Cc:        Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bsdinstall(8) line drawing characters

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 04:03:31PM +0100, David Lazaro Saz wrote:
>=20
> On Jan 20, 2013, at 2:50 PM, Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com> wrot=
e:
>=20
> > Of interest I would think is the output of:
> >=20
> > dialog --version
> > echo $TERM
> >=20
> > and whether (if possible) sysinstall produces similar results (what rel=
ease are you running?)
>=20
> I'm still running 8.3 in production. I've noticed this while playing with=
 9.0 and 9.1 both on vmware and older machines.
>=20
> I think that you are right and it has to do with the TERM variable and ho=
w it is set in the system console. In 8.3, the system console is defined as=
 "cons25" while on 9.1 it is defined as "xterm". If I execute the following=
 command:
>=20
>     # TERM=3Dcons25 bsdinstall
>=20
> Then the line drawing characters are show correctly on the system console=
. If I do the opposite on 8.3, defining TERM as xterm, then the results are=
 even worse than on 9.1.
>=20
> dialog(1) is on version 1.1-20100428 on 9.1 and on version 0.3 on 8.3.
>=20
> I can't find neither when nor why the system console was changed to xterm
> looking at the release notes of FreeBSD 9.0, but this seem to be the reas=
on.=20
> The TERM variable is defined on /etc/ttys, so I'll try to find the change=
 on
> the svn repository to shed some light.

TERM is one thing, the driver is another.

Since the "xterm" terminal description supports line-drawing characters,
it sounds as if the underlying problem is in the console driver.

ncurses would use ASCII characters if it is told that the terminal
cannot use line-drawing characters.  However, it uses the VT100
line-drawing characters if possible.

Running vttest establishes that the issue is not in ncurses
(menu item 3, character sets).  That shows only ASCII characters.

--=20
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net
ftp://invisible-island.net