Date:      Fri, 06 Nov 1998 08:28:14 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ficl

> I'm watching all your work using ficl with a lot of interest, but I
> don't understand the operating environment of programs at that early
> stage of boot too well.  Is the filesystem available?  Can any use be
> made of other Unix utils at all?  What devices are available?
> Obviously, screen input/output is *somewhat* available, right?

You can open() files and do read() calls on them; I don't think
write() is supported yet.  You can't rely on anything outside of the
bootstrap unless it can be open()'d and you certainly can't run
ordinary unix utilities from it.  I'm not sure about devices and
filesystems available - that's more of a Mike/Robert question.

As far as screen I/O is concerned, you can read characters from the
keyboard and you can emit them to the console device.  That's your
interface. ;) On top of that, one could probably implement a very
rudimentary screen I/O library that assumed ANSI compatability or
something and get a reasonable curses type environment.

- Jordan