Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 18:24:36 +0100
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Soft update instability with heavy IO and offboard IDE controller

--4bRzO86E/ozDv8r1

Robert Watson(rwatson@freebsd.org)@2002.03.24 09:22:47 +0000:

> I have to say that my answer on the ATA write caching is a UPS. :-)

i hope, this is not meant seriously. an ups keeps your system running in
case of mains power outage, true. it does not help anything in the
following (common) scenarios:
- the power supply blows
- bad power cable
- neutron bombs ;-)

honestly, judging from the quality of hardware you get in .de the first
two things happen more often than a real power outage, so i'd say an ups
is no viable solution when enabling ata wc. it may give you a warm fuzzy
feeling, but that's about it :-)

just my EUR 0.02, in case something makes it a FAQ to go into the
handbook...

/k

--=20
> Markets are self-correcting. That's why I trust markets more than
> governments. Governments usually aren't self-correcting, until too late.=
=20
> --Interview with Walter Wriston as reported in Wired 4.10=20
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.n=
et/
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 B=
F46
My mail is GnuPG signed -- Unsigned ones are bogus -- http://www.gnupg.org/
Please do not remove my address from To: and Cc: fields in mailing lists. 1=
0x

--4bRzO86E/ozDv8r1

--4bRzO86E/ozDv8r1--