Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 1997 18:40:13 -0600
From:      dnelson@emsphone.com (Dan Nelson)
To:        dean@av8.com (Dean Anderson)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FTP site

In the last episode (Feb 8), Dean Anderson said:
> I wouldn't use it if you weren't falsely advertising to have software
> you don't have.  That's what "bit" me.
>
> Don't you think you are a bit unethical to claim to have a package
> you don't really have?
>
>                 --Dean

Are you claiming that the files in /pub/FreeBSD/distfiles are NOT the
exact same files available from the original source?  Because they are.
You should be able to download any .tar.gz from that directory, and it
will contain the exact same files as are available from that file's
distribution source.  I use the FreeBSD distfiles directory as a
one-stop shop when I'm looking for something for the other Linux and
SCO systems I maintain.  If I can't find what I need there, then I do a
web search to find the official dist. site.

Every package we 'claim' to have really is in the /distfiles directory
(barring export or licensing issues). /Distfiles doesn't claim to fully
mirror remote distribution sites, but it does contain the minimum
file(s) needed to compile particular programs for Unix OS's.  The
/ports tree contains patches, if needed, to make compiles smoother on
FreeBSD.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com