Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 00:26:16 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
Cc:        chad@DCFinc.com, andrsn@ANDRSN.STANFORD.EDU, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rpm and WordPerfect Office 2000

On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 10:17:03PM -0400, David Gilbert wrote:
> Someone mentioned koffice?  What's the spreadsheed engine?  Last I
> tried gnumeric, I was nonplussed.

Yes, I have managed to make a port out of koffice 1.90 (KDE2 beta
release).  While I will admit I haven't done extensive testing, it does
seem like kspread (the spreadsheet app in the koffice suite, which
consists of kword, kpresenter, kspread, killustrator, and kchart) can do
many things.  I tried playing around with Calculus equations in it and
they seem to work nicely.  They also have a bunch of equations you can
use (i think this capability comes from kformula, part of koffice).

There's also something called "koshell" that basically serves as a
wrapper to these programs and allows you to launch them from a nice
window, a la Microsoft Office.  I must say, it looks really nice.  The
KDE people are getting very close to making koffice a suitable
replacement for Office, although I didn't test conversion capabilities.

If people want, I could post screenshots of my KDE2 desktop with all the
cool KDE2 goodies.  :-)

Toodles,
--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>