Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 1996 21:58:46 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Gene Stark <gene@starkhome.cs.sunysb.edu>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vulnerability in the Xt library (fwd)

: Calls to this new system call could then be introduced carefully into
: existing software, right at the point where an exec that *has* to preserve
: setuid privilege is performed.

You'll have to be careful if you do this.  You'd need to make sure
that you don't create something that the code inserted onto the stack
can call and do an end run around the hard work you do in putting it
in in the first place.  Some of the stack overflow attacks have used
the fact that they can do a setuid(0) even though the program has
turned off privs at the point in the program that they are at....

Personally, I think that xterm should call a program to set the
permissions and modes on the pseudo device, or better yet, the whole
pseudo device concept should be examined so that they are created
owned by the user and the chown isn't needed.  That's the only reason
(aside from writing to /etc/utmp on some systems, which can be
replaced by a daemon, I think) that xterm needs to be setuid root.
This would break existing pseudo terminal code, potentially, but the
added security of a cloning device might be worth it.  Too bad it is
such a big project, or it would be done by now :-)

Warner