Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 05:50:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Igor Karpov <jc@minjust.gov.ua>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: conf/47468: Sysinstall offers different timezones for Ukraine.

The following reply was made to PR conf/47468; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Igor Karpov <jc@minjust.gov.ua>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Cc: Valentin Nechayev <netch@netch.kiev.ua>, wollman@lcs.mit.edu
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 15:41:01 +0200

 On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 02:33:18PM +0200, Valentin Nechayev wrote:
 > Four different Ukrainian timezones are reflections not of current timezone,
 > and not of official regulations, but of former ones in quite historical times.
 > One can see, e.g., comment for definition of Crimea time:
 >
 > # Central Crimea used Moscow time 1994/1997.
 >
 > Or for other two non-standard zones:
 >
 > # Ruthenia used CET 1990/1991.
 > # Zaporozh'ye and eastern Lugansk oblasts observed DST 1990/1991.
 >
 > If it is subject for PR, the whole zonetime system is subject for PR because
 > it requires separate timezone to reflect any local time specific in any
 > past or future time. Moscow time in Crimea during 1994-1997 is fact.
 > It isn't our task to discuss its political reasonness or resonance.
 > It is question for timezone database maintainers to detect whether this base
 > should keep past time specifics. If yes, and there are disk space, each
 > request for reflecting local specific should be approved.
 > If no, one should delete all specifications which affects any day before
 > now, e.g., if now is 2003, any data for 2002 and earlier should be deleted.
 > Or, more moderate approach, delete all non-computer epoch (for Unix, before
 > 1970). But this is -arch issue, or even Posix issue.
 >
 > Hence I treat this PR as incorrect. Igor, I think you should discuss it in
 > -arch first.

 Agreed. Sounds like a question for arch-. But I'm talking only about
 sysinstall behaiviour, not about timezone database itself.

 BTW, I've found the official document on this matter. It's goverment
 regulations number 509, May 13, 1996. In my poor translation it says:
 "Time in Ukraine is set to second timezone (Kiev time). Each last Sunday
 of March at 3am the time is changing to 4am and each last Sunday of
 October the time at 4am is changing to 3am"

 Regards,
 --
 Igor A. Karpov    phone: +380(44)238-0624
 Unix System Administrator

 		      "Cute" rots the intellect.