Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 14:59:41 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        David Langford <langfod@dihelix.com>
Cc:        langfod@dihelix.com, mark@grondar.za, taob@nbc.netcom.ca, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP motherboard advice...

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, David Langford wrote:

> I wasnt reall sure what they meant with "Dual slot 1" and the I
> wasnt really sure what I was looking at picure wise.
>
> Damn clean board though :)

Apparenty. They haven't arrived yet, so I'll let you know after
I actually get to play with one. I know the P2L97 (normal) is very
well-designed.

> If you say this board is about $600 and the P2L97 is $300 why
> the $300! difference. Doesnt seem like too much was done to the boards.
>
> -David

Well, the AIC-7880 chips used for the Adaptec 2940UW SCSI controller are
expensive. I think the main reason they chrge so much is that THEY CAN! :)

They aren't running a charity, and they know people will shell out the
bucks. For leading edge technology, I don't think they are that off the
wall. Hardware developers are having an EXTREMELY difficult time
maintaining margins unless they can fill a void. Commodity parts are just
too cheap these days. Memory is down to about $3/meg, Hard disk space
about $.05/meg, P-150's under $100, 4MB video cards under $50... The list
goes on and on. It certainly is a buyer's market.

Manufacturers (and distributors like ourselves) are working harder than
ever to make less money than before.

People who sell their brains for $50-$100 per hour maintaining systems
know that the cost of the system is small compared to the TCO (total
cost of ownership). Those people don't mind paying a little more for
hardware that will save them several hours of labor and/or downtime.

Oops.. I guess I digressed! :)

Kevin