Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 21:50:20 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
To:        "Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM" <tforrest@mcs.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dynamic DNS updates with DHCPd/client

"Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM" writes:
> Howdy folks.
>
> I make use of dyndns.org.  Today I received a note saying that one of
> my systems was attempting to update their zone files.  Taking a look
> at my DHCP man pages I see that dynamic DNS updating is supported
> with isc-dhcp3-3.0.b1.17 (I'm working on upgrading).  The man pages
> mention the ability to turn off the file in the README doc - WHICH I
> READ, but did not find any reference to shutting this feature off.
>
> I've told dhcpd to only run on my xl1 (internal interface) and not
> xl0 (my public interface), and I find it odd that dhcpd would be
> trying to do this.
>
> Any ideas?

I use the standard dhclient which is part of the FreeBSD default
installation. Look for my other posting of a few minutes ago with the
subject: Re: How to use simple firewall with DHCP?

There is a short example there I think will re-run /etc/rc.firewall
and invoke ddup (DynDNS Updater) at the proper times.

Normally my IP address is static enough that I don't automatically
invoke ddup. In fact the past several months I've used Netscape both
times to update my entry at DynDNS, first when I created it, then
yesterday when I changed ISP's. The new ISP is more aggressive with
only 2 hour leases.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net