Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 01:02:14 -0400
From:      Jerry Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        "Eugene M. Kim" <gene@nttlabs.com>
Subject:   Re: Win95/NT drivers on FreeBSD?

> Well, this is just a wild idea, so please don't throw a stone at me :-)

Ok...

> If we could provide a device driver framework that is identical to M$
> Win95/98 DDK's

I don't think it's practical (or that useful).  The whole underside of
Windows9x is fundamentally different from the way the FreeBSD kernel works
with a lot of old DOS compatibility hacks thrown in too.  Even if hacked into
FreeBSD by some work of genius, it would likely upset things for the worse.

I'd rather see what happens with the various *nix-oriented device driver
standardization efforts.

Vendors are starting to respond to our market better anyway.  When did you
last ask ^your^ vendor to support FreeBSD?   :-)

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
jerry.hicks@glenayre.com