Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:37:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        n@nectar.com
Subject:   Re: other approach for hiding names (was Re: Request For Review: libc/libc_r changes to allow -lc_r)

In article <mit.lcs.mail.freebsd-arch/20010122120302.A93660@hamlet.nectar.com> you write:

>Is there somewhere in the build process that we could insert a tool
>that does something like the following?
>
>  for each externally visible symbol:

This is not unlike what `crunch' does, so it's not impossible.

>[1] Actually this list would probably be all ISO C names + other
>    symbols that require special handling for threads.  Or whatever.

Actually, no.

The only symbols that need to be hidden are the ones actually used
inside libc.  There are different levels of hiding necessary; for
functions used internal to the implementation of the ISO C standard
library, all non-ISO-reserved names must be hidden, but for functions used
to implement POSIX libraries, only non-POSIX-reserved names (a much
smaller set) must be hidden.  Of course, it may be more convenient to
just do everything.  In no circumstances do we need to hide a function
that is used solely as an external interface; the linker will (read:
is supposed to) do the Right Thing and resolve program-local
references using such names to the program and not the library.

-GAWollman