Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 2000 16:40:07 +0930 (CST)
From:      Jarrod <jarrod@nutt.net.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Machine Pausing?

Hi,

Installed 4.0-R on a new server we have just installed, but every so often
the machine pauses.  Web serving stops, users get Connection Timed Out
errors.  ssh users get booted and I get booted from mgetty when the
machine does this.  It was brought up to 4.0-S about 2 days after the
offical release of 4.0 and thismorning I cvsupped src-all and rebuilt only
the kernel and installed that (and yes, it is booting the new one).  Its
still doing it.  Is this a problem that a few people have come across?
Would a make world fix this?

I'm not doing a make world if I can avoid it.  We did to one of our other
backup machines and 'w' and 'top' come up with nlist errors, 'df' and
'swapinfo' both die, with an error relating to the kernel, sorry, I didnt
get the full error message.  I cant have this to this machine as its now a
semi-primary machine, cant live without it running.

The pauses happen every 40 minutes or so, cpu load sits on 0.10 from the
users logged in, no error messages in /var/log/messages or the console.

CPU Fan / modem / network card (now Netgear FX310) have all been replaced.

m/b, ram, and power supply havent been changed.  Though the system ran
fine here at home without any dramas.  Then it was changed into another
case and power supply where the problem started.

Could this be caused by the power supply?

frog> uname -a
FreeBSD frog.nutt.net.au 4.0-STABLE FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #0: Sat Apr  1
13:12:20 CST 2000     jarrod@frog.nutt.net.au:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
i386

TIA,

Jarrod

--
Jarrod Sayers (jarrod@nutt.net.au)

"It's not panic, it's a full-blown hysterical fit!"
 (Rimmer, Red Dwarf - Rimmerworld)