Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 11:29:51 +0100 (CET)
From:      Blaz Zupan <blaz@gold.amis.net>
To:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
Cc:        Reinier Bezuidenhout <rbezuide@oskar.dev.nanoteq.co.za>, Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ESS sound drivers and 4.0-current

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Donn Miller wrote:
> Thanks for the patch;  I'll try it.  I have the ESS 1868 isa card.  The
> problem I'm having isn't really volume problems.  When I use RealPlayer
> 5.0, certain realaudio clips play through extremely fast, and I can hear
> the sound in bursts along the way.  The speed/sample rate itself doesn't
> increase, but the entire clip whizzes by extremely fast, and I hear
> short bursts of the clip.  Maybe the clip isn't being memory mapped
> properly?

I believe this to be a problem in newpcm, as it appears with my onboard
soundcard too. Also, when playing MP3's, sometimes the machine decides to
play static (white noise) instead of the sample.

Here is what I have:

pcm0: <Yamaha SA3> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x530-0x537,0x388-0x38f,0x330-0x331,0x370-0x371 irq 5 drq 0,1 on isa0
unknown0: <OPL3-SA3 Snd System> at port 0x211 on isa0

This problem is present since the switch to newpcm. Before newpcm, I did
not experience problems with RealPlayer or my MP3 player (no matter which
one).

I'm running -current as of yesterday and the sound chip is on board on a
Intel AN430TX motherboard.

Blaz Zupan, blaz@amis.net, http://home.amis.net/blaz/
Medinet d.o.o., Linhartova 21, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia