Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:23:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please help spread the CVSup mirror load more evenly

In article <200001211909.LAA20090@rah.star-gate.com>,
Amancio Hasty  <hasty@rah.star-gate.com> wrote:

> If the user does specifiy a cvsup , can you decide for the user which
> server is best based upon some simple statistic?

Some day I hope it's possible, but there's nothing like that
implemented currently.  Also there are some problems that must be
solved first.  CVSup needs a way to ensure that your "update" won't
in fact be a step backward in time.  For example, suppose you update
twice in rapid succession, first from server A and then from server
B.  Both servers update hourly, but at different times.  You happen to
hit them at a point where A has updated more recently than B.  In that
case you'll be unhappy because your second "update" will instead be a
"downdate" (backdate? bad date?).

This is solvable, but not as easily as you might think.  Lots of
complications arise when, for example, you interrupt an update in the
middle such that some files have been updated while others haven't.

There is discussion on all this in the mailing list archives
somewhere.

John