Date:      Thu, 05 Mar 1998 14:37:03 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: silo overflows (Was Re: 3.0-RELEASE?)

On Wednesday, 4th March 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

>> I didn't do enough investigation to even guess at the cause.  I looked in
>> the XFree86 server code for interrupt disabling but found nothing
>> interesting.
>
>Does the server disable interrupts for extended periods of time?

If it does, I couldn't find where.

>> I was wondering though if any PCI experts knew if a PCI video card could
>> starve the PCI-ISA bridge of cycles.  Any experts out there?
>
>It's quite possible; it would depend on the PCI latency timer settings,
>but generally the latency provided for there is only of the order of a
>few microseconds.

So, how would I print these latency timer settings from FreeBSD?  Would I
just get a meaningless jumble of numbers anyway? ;-)

>I would be more interested in knowing whether the X
>server did interrupt-related things specific to the Matrox driver...

This was my first thought.  I couldn't find any place that it disabled
interrupts.  There were routines to fiddle processor interrupts but I
could find no code that called them.

Stephen.