Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 07:22:43 +0900
From:      neillt@coastalnet.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA modem card problems

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Richard Johnson wrote:
> I'm running FreeBSD 3.1 and I recently purchased a  ActionTec modem
> card (because it's specifically listed in the /etc/pccard.conf file in
> the distribution).  I noticed that the pccard.conf file configures it
> as IRQ 10 and my 3Com ethernet card uses IRQ 10, so I tried changing
> it to IRQ 15.  It didn't work.  When I open the device, the kernel
> hangs!

I had the exact same problem with my CTX Notebook.... the thread was
running on the -mobile list about a week ago.  I was pulling my hair out.
It turns out my ActionTec modem was the culprit.

> Finally, I got the kernel to not hang by removing the "ep0" ethernet
> device driver entirely and letting the modem use IRQ 10, but even then
> I can't talk to the card using tip.  It's configured as "sio2" so I've
> been talking to it using /dev/cuaa2, but no matter what I type I don't
> get anything from the card ("AT" gives no response).

I never even got that far with it.

> I'm at a loss.  Can someone tell me what type of PCMCIA modem card
> *does* work under FreeBSD 3.1 or what I'm doing wrong with this one?
> (I searched through the list archives and didn't see anything
> addressing this.)

I swapped my ActionTec out for a Xircom.  It works great now!  (It's a
Xircom CreditCard Modem CM56-T).

Let me know if you need kernel / pccard config files....

Neill

---
HN Neill Thornton, USN                 Go Navy!!
1st Battalion, 8th Marines Battalion Aid Station
neillt@marinemwr.or.jp  /  neillt@coastalnet.com