Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 14:07:32 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>, Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Finch <dot@dotat.at>, fs@FreeBSD.ORG, fanf@chiark.greenend.org.uk
Subject:   Re: UFS panic on -stable

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 01:47:57PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 11:17:04AM -0800, Kirk McKusick wrote:
>=20
> > Of the recent changes that I have been involved with, the one
> > above is the one that I would be most suspicious of. The problems
> > seem to be showing up independent of soft updates, and the
> > VOP_INACTIVE one is the only change of mine that would have
> > that property.
>=20
> There seem to be about half a dozen panics I'm seeing here.  The
> evidence so far does not contradict the hypothesis that the
> VOP_INACTIVE change is responsible for some of them, but for example
> one of the cluster machines double faulted again last night, and it
> was running a kernel which does not have that change.  One of the
> alpha machines experienced a different UFS panic the other day too.

Okay, bad news..gohan10 just panicked with the 'ufs_dirbad: bad dir'
panic, and I'm pretty sure it was running 1.249.2.23 of vfs_subr.c,
which is the version before both matt's vnlru change and the
VOP_INACTIVE one (the version included in 4.5-RELEASE, in fact).  The
double fault last night was with 1.249.2.24 but when it rebooted it
picked up the new kernel in the nfsroot image, which has 1.249.2.23,
and then it panicked about 10 minutes later.

Kris

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD--