Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 2002 12:48:18 -0800
From:      "Paul A. Scott" <pscott@skycoast.us>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problem pulling particular directory from CVS

> You are not being quite forthright, I think.

Actually, I've been totally forthright. I start with an empty working
directory, and type:

setenv CVSROOT ":pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs"
cvs login
cvs co src/contrib

When it gets to directory src/contrib/cvs, I get:

cvs checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory
cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot write <CVS/Template file>: No such file or
directory

Nothing hidden, totally forthright.

> This normally happens on a cvs -R co, rather than a cvs co, when
> you are asking for a specific date tag or a release tag which
> no longer exists, when running against a read-only repository.

As you can see, that's not the case.

> Probably you can get around the problem by updating your 'cvs',

Running 'cvs -v' on FreeBSD 4.5:
Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.10 `Halibut' (client/server)

This version breaks on checkout of src/contrib/cvs

Running 'cvs -v' on FreeBSD 4.7:
Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.1p1-FreeBSD (client/server)

This version works.

Thanks. I'll update my cvs.

Paul