Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 1996 00:35:51 GMT
From:      Adam David <adam@veda.is>
To:        rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.DEv.COM
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: changes to /etc/ttys

>> I'm submitting a patch for /etc/ttys to make ttyv0 the default console of
>> which no getty process runs on. ttyv[1-3] are now the default getty logins.

>Why would you want to do this?  This would mean that by default no login
>prompt would appear after a boot, something that I am sure would generate
>_lots_ of questions on the mailing list from users who did not know about
>it.

There used to be a syscons utility to change between virtual consoles. This
functionality seems to no longer exist in vidcontrol or kbdcontrol, though
there might some magic sequence that can be echoed to produce the same result
(nope, not found that either). Well... there are ioctl's that can be used to
change virtual consoles, so such a utility could be written or incorporated
into vidcontrol, and somehow invoked immediately after entering multiuser
mode. What is the normal method of invoking a command immediately after /etc/rc
has finished executing?

>What gain is there from doing this?

output-only console, but then keyboard input would have to be prevented
altogether, which is not currently done in this case.

--
Adam David <adam@veda.is>