Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 10:20:08 -1000 (HST)
From:      "Hubert T. Yamada" <yamada@shark.ifa.hawaii.edu>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: computer systems in movies

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, j mckitrick wrote:
> In movies with hi-tech or research premises, we often see
> sophisticated computer programs running on state of the art terminals.  Now,
> obviously, many times these are simply made-up special effects.  But, are
> there any REAL programs out there that inspired them?  For example,
> GUI-based real-time 3D molecule displays, frequency analyzers, real-time
> systems displays (like for satellites) or are all of these simply works of
> fiction?  If they *do* exist, do they run on proprietary OS's?  Unix? SGI
> workstations?

Speaking as someone who develops instrument control software for large
telescopes, I can tell you that most of what you see movie observatories
has no relationship to reality.

You wouldn't believe how ugly most real observatory control systems are.
Commonly, there are GUI interfaces that have a lot of buttons and
text-entry fields, to control the operation of the telescope.
Command-line tools are quite common.  The observer generally works
separately from the telescope operator, and has a real-time display of the
image that he has just taken.  The telescope operator normally has no
knowledge of the science, and the observer has minimal knowledge of
telescope operations.

Generally, most of the work that is actually done at the telescope is
simply examining the image, changing color-tables for the image, and
examining line-cuts through an image. In order to insure that all of the
necessary data is present and is of good quality.  Generally people do not
do any sort of data reduction while observing.  It really doesn't make any
sense to do so, because telescope time is very valuable, so you don't want
to waste any of your telescope time doing things that can be done later.
What you want to do in real-time are things that can't fixed later, such
as making sure that you have the best possible focus, insuring that your
image is properly centered on any optical elements (not as trivial as it
sounds), insuring that your exposure time is correct, and generally
insuring that you get everything that you need to reduce the data.

As far as the software, most of it is custom-built, and based on
freely-available software.  There is much less commercial software than
you might think.  It generally runs on unix workstations (usually Sun or
HP, though linux is becoming more popular) though there are some NT
systems too.  I've never seen FreeBSD running at any telescope, though I'm
doing my best to change that.

Hubert
--
Hubert Yamada, University of Hawaii, Institute for Astronomy
 phone: (808)956-6648