Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 2014 11:13:36 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
To:        Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD ARM <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD-Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RFT: Please help testing the llvm/clang 3.5.0 import

--Apple-Mail=_7E7A7273-DB8E-4D03-BA0E-96DA9BB5A08E

On Dec 18, 2014, at 5:02, Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 18 Dec 2014, at 02:17, NGie Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com> wrote:
>>=20
>> On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Dimitry Andric <dim@freebsd.org> =
wrote:
>>   As a request to speed up the build process further,
>>   - Would it be [easily] possible in the clang35 branch to bootstrap
>> the compiler for a specific architecture? The bootstrap / cross
>> compiler for instance always builds N targets instead of building =
just
>> the desired TARGET/TARGET_ARCH combo.
>=20
> It's not very easy, at least not without breaking various parts of our
> fragile build system, but I surely want to put something like this on
> the TODO list for *after* the import has completed.
>=20
> The branch is making progress right now, and I would not want to
> complicate matters further by introducing yet another tricky feature. =
:)

Fair enough :).

>>   - Could a "MK_CLANG_ALL_TARGETS" or something similar option be
>> added to src.opts.mk to fine tune this process for those of us who
>> don't want to build a cross-compile toolchain every iteration for our
>> target MACHINE/MACHINE_ARCH?
>=20
> I would be fine with something like this, as long as it is turned off =
by
> default, or if it is only used for the bootstrap stages.  It is =
actually
> an extremely useful feature of clang that you can target multiple
> architectures with one compiler binary.

Yes. If make tinderbox could use this it would be useful, otherwise, for =
most folks it seems like a less interesting feature.

> A more interesting case would be to remodel the build system so it can
> use one toolchain (external, or pkg-ng'd, maybe?) for building an =
entire
> universe.  With clang, that should be relatively easy to do.

Agreed. bdrewery is working on something similar to that internally for =
Isilon. Building the same toolchain N times internally when building the =
system and your upstream revision of FreeBSD doesn=92t change is like =
testing your sanity =97 not much changes with the bootstrap =
compiler/toolchain then!

Thanks for the reply :)!