Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 1995 21:12:41 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      sven@stack.urc.tue.nl (Sven Berkvens)
To:        Guido.vanRooij@nl.cis.philips.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to turn local system into Xterminal

> I like to have the possibility to sometimes just act as an xterminal,
> without having to boot again. Of course I should configure a remote
> machines xdm so it is willing to serve me. But what should I do
> locally? Just starting an xserver isn't enough of course..How do I tell
> the remote machine it should open up the xdm logon window?

It's nearly enough to start the X server locally: you do not need to
configure anything if your X server works okay. If you'd like to access
a remote machine using your local machine as the terminal, you'd type
the following instead of typing 'startx':

X -query some.remote.host

Perhaps you'd like to add the -once option, which will shut down the
X server once you've logged out from the session, ie. not return to
login prompt.

Or, if a remote machine offers you a so-called chooser (from which you
can select yet another host to log in to):

X -indirect some.remote.host

That's all there's to it...

> -Guido

-Sven Berkvens (System Administrator for MCGV Stack)