Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 22:05:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Some info on the kgmon(8) manual page (regarding current) needed

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Hiten Pandya wrote:

> According to me, the utility shouldn't be using a hardcoded path to the
> booting kernel, as this would affect kernels which were made by:
>
>   makeoptions   KERNEL=foo    #Build kernel "foo" and install "/foo"
>
> What are your suggestions?

The utility doesn't appear to have any hard-coded paths in it at all.  It
gets them from one of two places: getbootfile(), or the command line.  If
getbootfile() is used then it's right.  If you specify it on the command
line and that's wrong, it's your fault.  It's worth noting, as I did to
Garance out-of-band, that the path returned by getbootfile() may be wrong
for a variety of reasons, including:

- The kernel at that path has been replaced for some or another reason,
  including kernel upgrade.

- The file system root doesn't match that used by the boot loader, either
  because chroot() has occurred for the current process, or because the
  root and boot devices differ (e.g., network load of kernel, local root
  file system).

getbootfile() is relatively unreliable, as such, but is a decent default.

> In any case, I will take the precautions which Giorgos has put in place,
> and will produce the patches accordingly. :)

I'd avoid your later changes involving describing how getbootfile() relies
on sysctl in the kgmon(8) man page.  That's an implementation detail of
the API, not of kgmon, and while it probably won't change, putting the
information there increases the chances of it getting stale, as well as
exposing system MIB information that has a well-documented API for
accessing it.  Talking about the possible failure modes of the call
probably is relevant, since that impacts correct functionality of
kgmon(8).  Giorgos' patch, modulo reference to -N, is probably the right
answer.