Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 18:21:39 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Vladik <pvlad@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Q]4.0-Release file system

Try loading the loader (/boot/loader) rather than the kernel.  You might
also try using the boot0 bootmanager (see the manpage for boot0cfg) with
the 'packet' option set, which will DTRT.

You may also need to rebuild boot1/boot2 with the 'packet mode' flags
set; see the boot1 sources in sys/boot/i386/boot2 for this.

Note that these are experimental suggestions that I've had success with;
YMMV and these aren't yet ready for prime time.